I posted a single prediction for the domain industry in 2013 by many people I consider domain industry experts. Several of these people were kind enough to offer additional predictions for 2013, and Adam was one of those people.
Here are Adam’s predictions for the domain industry in 2013:
1) Smart Domainers will realize it’s no longer a pissing contest of who owns the most domains, it’s about building businesses.
2) Many domainers will be looking for full time jobs because parking will continue to deteriorate to the point where you may not even be able to feed your dog let alone your family.
3) 2013 will be the year domainers drop 80% of their crap domains and upgrade their portfolios, quality over quantity will be the right target to aim for. It’s far better to own 10 fantastic domains than 10,000 pieces of crap.
4) Hopefully people learnt from .mobi, .tel .co and .xxx not to waste their money filling the pockets of the registrars while they are left with no traffic and no revenue from these pipe dreams.
5) The public will be completely confused with the launch of all the new TLD’s. They barely understand why they need a website now let’s explain to them that my new email address is email@example.com, most will still add the .com to that and go to firstname.lastname@example.org
6) 2013 will be the year lead generation overtakes parking by a mile.
7) Facebook will finally find a way to stop people from adding you to ridiculous groups without your permission like ‘Premium Domains’ and all that’s in there is smellyfeetinoregon.info for $125,000.
8.) Before the end of 2013, Elliot will announce he and his lovely wife Karen will announce another bundle of joy and more sleepless nights are on the way.